Bios - Self Cleaning
An innovative façade cladding solution that ensures high self-cleaning and pollution abatement performance for architectural envelopes.
Bios Self-Cleaning® designed and developed for façade cladding. The special treatment based on the Hydrotect® technology allows Bios Self-Cleaning® to activate a reaction in the presence of sunlight. This reaction reduces air pollutants and decomposes dirt deposits, which are washed away by rainwater, thanks to the superhydrophilicity of the ceramic surface.
The HYDROTECT® technology has been licensed out to over 100 manufacturers all over the world in the most diverse areas of application, from car-making to building. The owner of the patent is the Japanese holding TOTO, a global leader in photo-catalytic technology, with which Casalgrande Padana has entered into a Master Agreement. With the HYDROTECT® technology, the Bios Self-Cleaning® ceramics in facings and ventilated walls provide important responses through their self-cleaning and NOx-reduction properties (NOx are nitrogen oxides and compounds, largely responsible for urban air pollution). In particular, Bios Self-Cleaning® can combine the well-known aesthetic features and performance of unglazed stoneware ceramic facings with a dramatic reduction in the need to clean or maintain the surfaces, which translates into remarkable savings and a long-lasting quality and appearance of the architectural features.
Bioactive properties for exterior facings
The exclusive formulation of Bios Self-Cleaning® contains titanium dioxide (TiO2), a natural substance traditionally used as a white pigment and to make food additives, toothpaste, makeup and so on. Because of its titanium dioxide content, Bios Self-Cleaning® can perform to the highest standards, especially as a facing, to which it adds:
- Photo-catalytic properties, which, when triggered by light, can break up the organic substances and pollutants on the tile surface for a self-cleaning, air cleansing effect.
- Super-hydrophilic properties, which make the most of its self-cleaning properties. The higher the UV light on the treated surface, the smaller its angle of contact with water, which after a reasonable time is next to zero. This means that the water will easily spread and wash off. Basically, the effect of the titanium dioxide that breaks up the organic matter on the treated surface is supported, through photo-catalysis, by the hydrophilic effect, whereby rainwater washes off any stain from the tile surface.
Effectiveness of the self-cleaning process
The self-cleaning property of Bios Self-Cleaning® is extremely effective and certified, but you should keep in mind that:
- THEY CANNOT remove all the stains that surpass their self-cleaning properties, such as stains that stick to the facing quickly, massively and stubbornly, e.g. silicone sealants.
- THEY CANNOT remove rust or crystals.
- NO self-cleaning process may take place without rain or exposure to UV rays.
Pollutant-reduction and air-cleansing properties
One of the main sources of atmospheric pollution, which really threatens human and environmental health, are NOx (nitrogen oxides as combustion by-products) from vehicles, heating and some industrial processes. The active oxygen (–OH, O2–) produced by the Bios Self-Cleaning® facings oxidises the NOx into non-harmful substances (NO3– water-soluble nitrate), which are washed off by rainwater. The NO3– oxidised by the photo-catalytic reaction is too little to have any influence on soil acidification. The guaranteed NOx-reducing properties of Bios Self-Cleaning® make an appreciable contribution to the improvement of the environmental standards of urban settlements. Just think that a 1000 sqmt Bios Self-Cleaning® facing can purify the air like a wood the size of a football pitch or remove the nitrogen oxides (NOx) emitted by 70 cars during one day.
A number of strict lab tests proved that the efficiency of Bios Self-Cleaning® does not diminish over time. The durability of the ceramic slabs has been confirmed by an accelerated aging test, the conditions of which were comparable to 50 years’ outdoor exposure. Note that in heavy-traffic areas, the HYDROTECT® technology, if hot embedded in the Bios Self-Cleaning® surface during the industrial production process, will perform well over time and will fulfil the applicable light traffic resistance and maintenance requirements.
Casalgrande Padana’s product ranges
The performance of the HYDROTECT® technology, applied to Bios Self-Cleaning®unglazed stoneware ceramic slabs, is certified according to the most important international standards.